Sir Vlad raises his cup with a shaky hand, spilling wine onto the rug
in front of the hearth. “I have turned to vinegar,” he snarls.
Lingering pain has carved deep lines around his eyes. He stares
vacantly at the stains on the rug before leaning back heavily in his
chair and downing the rest of his drink. He looks down at his
trembling, liver-spotted hands. “When I was young, I wrestled
bears. Now, I can’t even hold a cup.” He looks up, his watery
eyes meeting yours. “What will they say about Barow’s rule over
the Realm? Was it just? Did we bring peace?”
Sir Anastaz, The Salt Knight
"For a time. Had
we remained here all those years, we might have helped you. But the
needs of a father are sometimes more important than needs of a king.
In the blink of an eye, all that was once strong became feeble,
including your brother's rule. Perhaps it is time for a change."
Referee
“Perhaps – but
Andrasz won't go down without a fight … and he has support from the
North: Two warbands of veterans who have been fighting all their
lives - not to mention the army he can muster anyway. Even the
combined forces of Masur and Kranach won't beat them easily … if at
all!” Vladislav stares at the red stain on the rug again. “More
violence, more blood. Is that what you want?”
Sir Anastaz, The Salt Knight
Anastaz sighs.
"Masur and Kranach were defeated once before, and look at them
now. Andrasz chained the wolf, but could not tame it. To win the war,
he must make this realm a ruin. Only then will you have your peace."
Referee
Vladislav rubs his
temples with trembling hands, eyes closed and he is silent for a
while. “It was a mistake to come to this Realm.” he finally says.
“It was a mistake to leave our home. All I wanted is to hunt and to
enjoy life and now … now I am an old man and I will be buried on
foreign soil … “ He shakes his head. “All you can wish for in
life is to keep peace for a while until the cycle of violence begins
anew.” He opens his eyes again. “March on Castle Barow and you
will be responsible for the death of hundreds of men and women - and
for what? A dream! There will never be a lasting peace, Anastasz.”
Sir Anastaz, The Salt Knight
Anastaz seems to
ponder the knight's words and rises to the room's window. He looks
out, hands clasped behind his back, and says, "My brothers
seem to think a legend will unite the people. Perhaps they're right;
perhaps they're wrong. But Barow's time has passed..." He
turns back to Vladislav, smiling sadly. "After all this, I
still respect Andrasz. Return to the Crownlands with whatever men you
can muster and whatever wealth you can carry, and I will ensure there
are no reprisals. Tell your brother we can end this suffering."
Referee
“I still remember the
grove on the night after our bout. The stars above us ... I was happy
then … happy that I was alive. Happy to have met a worthy
opponent.” Vladislav gives you a sad toothless smile. “I will
talk to my brother. He will call me a fool and a traitor … but I
will try.” “And if he declines ...” His smile broadens “ …
I hope the two of us will meet on the battlefield and that I will die
in the saddle and not in a bed.” He laboriously gets up and extends
his hand.
Sir Anastaz, The
Salt Knight
The Salt Knight
pulls the old man into a hug. "For my sake, I hope to stay
far away from that hammer."
~*~
Sir Heldris, The Dove Knight
Heldris sits before
the fire in Anastaz’s chambers, and tells the Salt Knight of his
debt with the River and how it came to be. “I thought it’d be
easy to sacrifice an enemy for the good of the Realm,” says the
Dove Knight in a whisper, “but even before such a detestable
man as Sir Svatoslav, I struggle to bring myself to act.” He
pokes the fire slowly, pensively. “I would gladly pay the toll
myself, but to think of my daughter losing her father again and,
perhaps sinning of arrogance, of me quitting so early this quest to
bring the Realm together…” He sighs, "I fear, one way
or the other, my spirit is lost."
Sir Anastaz, The
Salt Knight
Anastaz places an arm
on Heldris's shoulder. "And if the river chooses to wreak
vengeance, how many children will lose their parents? These forces
are not to be trifled with. The life of one old man is of little
consequence in comparison."
Sir Heldris, The
Dove Knight
Heldris nods, looking
up from the fire. "You're right, ad always. The River has taken
its course and cannot be changed now." He stands up and, without
the need of saying more, he makes his way towards Sir Svatoslav
chamber.
Referee
When you reach the corridor that leads to Sir Svatoslav chamber you
see in the torchlight Lady Landrada and a servant being turned away
by the two guards posted in front of his door. Landrada looks furious
as she slowly shuffles away. “Ungrateful peasants” she curses.
The gurads stand in attention and open the door for you.
Svatoslav is pacing in front of the window and when you enter he
turns with a smile that falters as he recognizes you. “I was hoping
...” he forces himself to smile. “... to speak to your Envoy …
but I'm honoured that you came to see me.”
Sir Heldris, The Dove Knight
The Dove Knight
dismisses the guards from their posting, and enters the nobleman’s
chamber. “I’m not sure what business you’d have with my
envoy, but it is time for you to be judged.” He tells Sir
Svatoslav calmly, without anger in his voice. “Will you please
follow me? We have a long way to go.”
Referee
Sir Svatoslav looks
surprised. “Now? A long walk?" He puts a coat around his
shoulders and follows you.”I am prepared to defend myself and stand
trial for whatever crimes I am accused of.” he says with a firm
voice but when he sees the Salt Knight waiting at the door, he pales
and takes a step back. “What am I accused of?”
Sir Heldris, The Dove Knight
"If you ask me, of
the crime that far too many people have committed these last twenty
years... acting against peace and the good of the Realm." The
Dove Knight's tone is still calm and almost reassuring. "But
it will not be on us to find you tarnished or free of sin. The River
will be your judge, and its wrath may be appeased" He
gestures Sir Svatoslav towards the door.
Referee
He looks scared now and
hesitates to cross the threshold but under the Salt Knight's steely
gaze he doesn't dare to resist. His shoulders slump and with a sigh
he leaves the room. At the gate the guards hand you lanterns. When you
reach the deserted market Sir Svatoslav stops at the bas relief of
the merchant guild and starts to beg. “Please, Sir Heldris! I have
done nothing wrong.” He holds on to the sign with both hands and
drops to his knees. “What am I accused of? I followed the King's
orders just like you. Please, have mercy!” The families of the
small harbour town must have returned after the siege as you hear
doors opening and see candles being lit but nobody steps out and Sir
Svatoslav's pleas fade away in the thickening mist.
Sir Heldris, The Dove Knight
The Dove Knight
stands still for a moment, he puts a hand on the nobleman's shoulder.
“I'm truly sorry, Sir Svatoslav. But if you think yourself
virtuous, you will walk with us to the water and will either be
spared by the River, or redeem yourself with a last worthy deed:
appeasing its fury." He gestures the nobleman to stand up.
Referee
“I'm not virtuous! I
am a coward!” He shakes his head violently and hugs the sign like a
toddler hugging the leg of his mother.”Why am I be judged and not
you?" he cries. "You abandoned your duty! Somebody has to
rule and it was me. Why am I punished for doing my duty?” His eyes
are closed and there are tears running down his pale cheeks.
Sir Heldris, The Dove Knight
As he watches the
man whining and clinging to the signpost, a wolfish growl rises
within the Dove Knight. He grabs the nobleman by the neck and drags
him towards the shore, his voice a snarl: “You profited by our
misfortune, Sir Svatoslav, now face the consequences, face them as a
coward if you so wish.” When they reach the shore he drags him a
few paces into the water and stops, he turns the nobleman to face him
and all that Sir Svatoslav can see are hound-like eyes shining red in
the dark night. “Have it your way,” Heldris pushes the
nobleman under the surface and struggles to keep him there.
“Wrathful River,” he whispers in a growl, almost inaudible to
the Salt Knight on shore, “here I pay my awful debt, and a
sinful man I plunge into these waters, wet by your everflowing
stream.”
 |
| A Sinful Man |
Referee
Sir Svatoslav stares at
you from under the water with utter terror in his eyes, bubbles
streaming from his mouth in unheard screams and only the roaring of
the river in your ears – eager to consume and pleased with the
sacrifice - and as the drowning man's struggle weakens, you see
possible futures for the river in the rising air bubbles, futures
from which the Realm is spared: fishers returning with empty nets; a
growing lake where the Fortress once stood; and a river, swollen and
angry, sweeping away huts and cattle, and the corpses of Kozamost
washed ashore in Farkash's harbour. For a moment a dark triumph
washes over you. You lift your head and howl, and over the roaring of
the river, you hear the beating of the bard's drum—the bard whose
life you took in anger.
Sir Anastaz, The
Salt Knight
A pale lantern glows in
the mist as the Salt Knight watches stonily. As Sir Heldris returns
to the shore, Anastaz holds out a cloth for the Dove Knight to wipe
the water from his hands.
No comments:
Post a Comment